According to the American Kennel Club, the Chihuahua is a graceful, charming, and sassy breed, and is, in fact, the 24th most popular breed of dog. Chihuahuas are small in size, ranging from 4 to 6 pounds, and they have a moderate energy level, making them excellent companions for adults and children alike. Because your Chihuahua is so special, there are a number of must-have accessories for you, the Chihuahua owner.
1. Clothing: Because Chihuahuas are so small, it is not unusual for their temperature to drop fairly quickly when they are outside in cold weather. They are not able to maintain their temperature as easily as larger breeds, so they benefit from some type of clothing protection when they go outside. A sweater of some kind is the most typical article of clothing; however, a hoodie may also protect your pup from becoming too cold.
2. Raincoat: Chihuahuas not only have to go outside in cooler weather, they also must go outside when it is raining or even snowing. In this case, a raincoat is the perfect accessory for a Chihuahua. It not only shields them from the rain or snow, but some raincoats are reflective, making your pet easily visible to you and others.
3. Boots or booties: Many Chihuahua owners may purchase dog booties for fashion purposes, such as pink ones to match the lace on Baby’s new dress. However, there are also practical considerations for this accessory. Boots that are waterproof help your Chihuahua’s feet from getting wet, and boots with harder soles can provide traction on rocky terrain. If running and hiking are part of your time with your Chihuahua, protecting his or her feet with boots makes for a comfortable outdoor experience.
4. A collar and leash: Of course, a collar is needed so that you can attach identifying information on your pet, in case he or she is ever lost, and a leash is a requirement for securing your dog when you are outside. Although these accessories are required (sometimes by a leash law), they needn’t be boring. In fact, it is certainly easy for your Chihuahua to show his or her personality with a fashion collar and leash – in leather, with rhinestones, monogrammed, or with other “bling”.
5. A purse or tote: Chihuahuas like to go where you go. So, if your destination is pup-friendly, you might want to take yours along. Because Chihuahuas are so small, it is easy for them to be mobile, so a durable purse or tote for your dog is a must-have accessory. These can range from casual, cotton or canvas totes to high-quality leather purses.
6. Travel crate: Another mobile accessory that your Chihuahua needs is a travel crate. Often, for short trips, your pup may have the run of your vehicle. However, for longer trips, a travel crate secures your dog, ensuring his or her safety. You may choose a wire or plastic crate, or a different travel option, like a cloth barrier (which keeps your dog contained to a particular seat) or a booster seat, so that your dog can easily see where you are going.
7. Bandana: For a pure fashion statement, your Chihuahua needs very little more than a bandana around his or her neck. You can find any type of bandana imaginable, from traditional red plaid to camouflage to leopard-spotted.
8. Bedtime bones: Like people, Chihuahuas can have very busy lives! As a result, they may find it difficult to get to sleep at night. When it’s your puppy’s bedtime, what better way to help him drift off than with a bedtime bone. Bedtime bones are infused with chamomile, for a restful night’s sleep.
9. Play pen: On occasion, you may want to spend some time outside, working in the yard or sunbathing. Your dog wants to come outside with you, but you need some way to contain it. A doggie play pen is just the answer. It provides your dog with some outside time and space, while still being safely contained.
10. Grooming kit: A fabulous Chihuahua is a well-groomed Chihuahua. In your grooming kit, you should have a dog brush (specific to your dog’s coat, whether it is a smooth coat or a long coat), a mild dog shampoo, nail clippers, and a dog toothbrush and toothpaste.
Chihuahuas are wonderful dogs, and yours is likely a very important part of your life. These accessories can help ensure that your pup remains happy, healthy, secure, and stylish.